Rss Feed
  1. Hey, so, this podcast review is-

    SHUT UP. NO ONE CARES. NO ONE CARES BECAUSE IT IS ALMOST TIME FOR

    DRAGON CON.

    (suck it SDCC, you had your turn)

    I love Dragon Con. I would love it to pieces, but it is so structurally sound that my love would only further reinforce its foundations. Tens of thousands of nerds, crammed together in a few city blocks. I love the stars, the panels, the sight of tenacious nerds wearing full-body, rubber costumes in 95F+ weather. I'd rub my face in it if I weren't afraid of the contagious diseases I might pick up.

    But Viddyviddy, you say, why should I care? I came here for a podcast review! Well buckle up, toots, because I just found a peanut butter and chocolate collision with a podcast about Dragon Con.

    The Unique Geek – it's a discussion group, photo gallery, podcast, and dessert topping all in one.

    Woo! This is The Unique Geek podcast, featuring their "50 Days of Dragon Con Primer".

    Relevant Links:
    Main Site! You can send them a voice mail!
    RSS Feed!

    Content Rating: Explicit, and tagged as such in iTunes.

    Average Episode Length:  A quick glance tells me that the average length is about 50 minutes.

    It is, as the kids say, 'off the chain'.
    Dragon Con is the greatest 4 days of geekery you will be able to find east of the Mississippi, and The Unique Geek (UG) is here to give you the low-down on the hoedown. Any convention can be an overwhelming mass of people, events, and places and the UG is here to provide you with a helping guide to making the best of the 24 hour insanity that can be Dragon Con. They cover important topics ranging from the light hearted discussion of panels, to the super-super-incredibly-useful information about things like the disabilities services available at the convention.

    Bonus Content: You can watch a Dragon Con staff member navigate a hotel bathroom in his wheelchair to show examples of accessibility. Interesting stuff, and an eye opener if you don't have to deal with it.

    The hosts vary per their expertise on certain subjects, and features interviews with the President of Dragon Con, track directors, and people who get their hands dirty to make one of the nation's largest fan-run conventions function. Even if you're not going, it is a neat insight into how a horde of volunteers can entertain thousands of people for an annual weekend of nerdom.

    Drinking Game:  Take a drink every time:
    • The hosts mention a show you are a fan of
    • You recognize a celebrity name
    • The 501st are mentioned
    • One of the hotel names is said

    Release Schedule: Damn near every day. They take this '50 Days' thing seriously, folks.


    Unintentionally Good Part: This podcast makes me think of Dragon Con, and I look forward to Dragon Con the same way little kids look forward to Christmas. I think I have it better, because although Santa is pretty rad, my holiday involves copious amount of alcohol and the guys from Myth Busters.

    Unintentionally Bad Part: Some episodes have less-than-average mic quality. Not too bad, but I had to fuss with my volume a few times.

    Unrelated rating: Four disturbing Leeloo costumes out of five.

  2. 0 comments: